The Integrity of Food

It has been an eventful week in the city of New Orleans. Our world champions took the field Thursday night, and prevailed. The city was very alive tonight, as I road my bike home through the French Quarter and down St Charles Avenue it is beginning to feel a lot like New Orleans, southern electric. Back to food. How many people actually know what they are putting into their body's? Even more, How many don't care? I am not saying there is a definitive answer right or wrong, but the information is available today from several sources, it just takes a little want. For me, it is important to know. When I look at a piece of steak, it is not just a protein in plastic wrap with a price, there is a story. Looking into what the animal ate, where it came from, and was it happy. All of these things, believe it or not, affect the final outcome of the dish. Sometimes it is just easier to overcook, oversauce, and overeat cheaper cuts of meat. It is actually simpler to buy an exquisite piece of food, and simply cook it with simple seasonings. I want a steak to taste like a cow, not just something to dip/taste/smear sauce on at the end of my fork. The only reason, for me, to eat steak is to taste, steak. To understand that, behind this plastic wrapped piece of dinner, there was actually an animal. So the whole point is, something sacrificed its life for you...do it justice and cook it well, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment